Saturday, November 17, 2007

Only If You Must

I can not remember a seminar or lecture that I have given when I have not been asked, “What should I do when someone asks me for my Social Security number?”

I always answer, “Give it out only if you must.”

Each person must make a decision whether to give out there SS# or not, but remember each business asking for it can decide whether or not to do business with you. So you must decide, does the benefit of giving out your SS# outweigh the risk? You need to ask yourself, “DO YOU FEEL LUCKY”. (Clint Eastwood)

The Social Security Administration states:
“Your Social Security number and our records are confidential. We do not give your number to anyone, except when authorized by law. You should be careful about sharing your number with anyone who asks for it (even when you are provided with the benefit or service). (SSA Publication No. 05-10064)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • All Material is Copyright © 2009 Michael McCoy and SEAS, L.L.C
  • Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft - www.ftc.gov/idtheft