Sunday, June 27, 2010

Do you value and protect your social networking connections?

Recently an article at Forbes.com explored the importance of including access to social media sites in your Last Will and Testament. The rationale is excellent, and we’ve written about it before.


I read this story, and the more I thought about it, and as I tallied my social network sites and blogs, I realized that the digital assets I’ve worked to create have as much, or more, meaning to me as many of the physical possessions I have listed in my Will.


As I compiled my information, I also realized that while I have always been protective of my Will, I would now be even more diligent in securing it so that my private data doesn’t fall into the wrong hands – while storing it in a way that allows my loved ones quick access should it become necessary. (Coincidentally, we also posted “The Keys to a Well-Kept Safe Deposit Box” just a few weeks ago.)


It may be time to take another look at your plans. If you do have them in writing, or intend to do so, be sure to keep sensitive information secure. It’s never a good thing to have your personal/private information fall into the wrong hands!


By Adam Huckeby, Creative Director at Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. Pre-Paid Legal works to continually highlight identity theft and legal related stories that impact our lives every day. We make them available via our corporate media room. You can find our story highlighting the above issues here and here. Pre-Paid Legal's signature products, including the Life Events Legal Plan and Identity Theft Shield, serve more than 1.5 million families in North America.

  • All Material is Copyright © 2009 Michael McCoy and SEAS, L.L.C
  • Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft - www.ftc.gov/idtheft